Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Top 25 of 2008: 20-16

20. Cut Copy – In Ghost Colours

I found this album early but never went through that “it’s the only thing I listen to for a couple weeks” stage of new album. In fact I’ve hardly ever listened to it the whole way through. However, songs from this album kept popping up in my life. I would include “Unforgettable Season” on every party mix I made over the summer. A friend of mine included “Going Nowhere” on a mix she made for me. In Mexico for some reason I would run listening to “Feel the Love” on repeat.

These songs will, most likely forever, be welded to certain memories from an admittedly tumultuous summer. And for that I’m grateful to Cut Copy.

19. Coldplay – Viva la Vida

As Nick told me once: this is a dangerous album. I can listen to it all the way through and not mind when the album automatically restarts. Every song just blends together, not because they all sound same but because they just fit together so damn well. This is an actual fucking album. Unlike Cut Copy above I couldn’t include any of these songs on a list because they just seem naked out of context—and this is not a point against it.

Martin’s lyrics are still syrupy and for the most part nonsensical, but the music, produced by the brilliant Eno, makes it all okay.

I also like this album because it allows me to revisit (re-download) the old pre-“X and Y” catalogue without a sense of self-hatred. Okay I never deleted song “In My Place” and “The Scientist” was just full of nostalgia. And yeah I still had (and listened to) “Politik”…but I deleted “Clocks,” that song sucks!


18. M83 – Saturdays = Youth

This album had me from the first four haunting piano chords. It was the first album I listened to on repeat this year. The other two M83 albums I use to fall asleep; even though the swells can be somewhat dramatic the overall, muted lushness of the albums allows me to slip off to dreamland peacefully.

Not so this album. It’s still lush and full of overwrought, though painfully honest, emotion but instead of lulling me to sleep it excites my mind with a longing for the past, for youthful emotions and the naïve anticipation of that island of adulthood to come. But as Robert Hass wrote: “I have come to that island/and I can tell you it is a lie.”

If only this album had come out earlier.

17. Fleet Foxes – Fleet Foxes

I grew up going to church every Sunday listening to a cappella gospel songs. In our church using instruments in worship was considered a sin (only because it wasn’t mentioned in the Bible…yes I know apparently King David played a damn harp, I’m not saying I agree with this theology). Even though I’m far, far removed from that upbringing I’m still a sucker for good harmony.

Yes, this album is a bit wimpy, but it’s earnest and beautiful. And “White Winter Hymnal” cannot be denied.



16. Sigur Ros – (something in Icelandic)

Nothing can prepare an avid fan of Sigur Ros for this first song. Did that guitar (acoustic guitar!) chord just change? It hasn’t been a minute yet! Wait, it just changed again…there it goes again! I can’t keep up. Every time I listen to “Goobledigook” my heart starts racing; it’s not the fastest song I listen to, it’s still so surprising—as is the rest of this album.

It’s still unmistakably my beloved Sigur Ros, but they are no longer ethereal aliens descended to earth to draw every last tear from our eyes by simply meandering on instruments. They are ethereal aliens descended to earth to form a kickass band that still makes me weep.

2 comments:

Nick said...

That's really interesting about the Fleet Foxes. I bailed on them a long time ago mainly because I couldn't stand the harmonizing. But now you got me worrying about my own morality. Thanks.

carterblanton said...

I was worried when 25-21 included albums I had never heard of...but this post was the great equalizer.