Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Top 25 of 2007: 15-11

15) Aesop Rock – None Shall Pass

In a year where I found myself listening to old favorites with new releases I purposely avoided this album. Aesop and I had had a long relationship and I really wanted to get into Dalek—I thought I needed another semi-underground hip-hop act to follow.

But, falling prey to a lazy afternoon, I obtained this album and almost immediately fell in love. Maybe I’m just a sucker for his flow and slick turns of verse. Nothing on this album, of course, reaches the heights of ‘Daylight’ but he comes awfully close with more than a few tracks.

Sorry Dalek.
Favorite Track: Keep Off the Lawn

14) Feist – The Reminder

Some among the indie elite hated that her singles appeared everywhere (Apple commercials, Verizon commercials, Grey’s Anatomy) but I can’t help but feel happy for her.

The album, while beautiful, doesn’t quite live up to the catchy pop genius of the singles. But she didn’t make an album of singles, she made an album, a lonely intimate album with supernova moments.

I mean, and just look at her.

Favorite Track: I Feel It All

13) LCD Soundsystem – The Sound of Silver

How did he make a dance music rock album? Just making an album seems tough enough these days, weaving together six-minute-plus dance songs into a rock album sounds impossible. But James Murphy did it, flavoring it with his patent brand of fierce sarcasm.

Checking the never ending list of lists abounding on the internet I seemed to have placed this album all-too-low, but the truth is I just never listened to it enough to have it crack the top ten. Maybe it’s something I’ll kick myself for later…

Favorite Track: North American Scum

12) Jay-Z – American Gangster

I thought Jay-Z had completely lost it. Kingdom Come? It hurt. After awhile most radio edits rightly cut his spot on Rihanna’s ubiquitous ‘Umbrella.’ I heard a version of Amy Winehouse’s ‘Rehab’ where he dropped a verse that almost made me delete all the Jay-Z I had on my computer.

Thank God for this album.


Jay steps outside of himself, creating a new, fictional ego—one no longer embarrassed by his youth. He should step outside of himself more often, it’s much less boring than hearing about what brands he’s currently sporting. Most telling line on the album: ‘Truth be told I had more fun with I was piss poor and pissed off.’

Favorite Track: Pray


11) Okkervil River – The Stage Names

I want to sing like Will Sheff. I want my voice to drip violence and anguish even when singing about some flip, fictional therapy session. Definitely lighter fare than Black Sheep Boy (Sheff isn’t tearing open anyone’s throat) but still jarring, The Stage Names proves that Okkervil River can and will continue to improve.

What kept it out of the top ten? 1) The fact that I love, love Black Sheep Boy and it would almost been akin to cheating. 2) I think Sheff's voice is better suited for singing about violence and real heartbreak. 3) Too much good stuff came out this year.

Favorite Track: Unless It Kicks




1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.