Monday, December 11, 2006

Top 25 Intro

It was a strange year for me musically. Perhaps because I teach teenage girls all day I tended to gravitate more towards bubblegum, sorry-ass pop more than usual (as will be evidenced in my countdown). Perhaps it was because Sufjan didn't release a real album, or because the Decemberists released a bad one (might as well take away the suspense, "The Crane Wife" didn't make the cut, which makes me very sad. I have a theory that much good music packed up and ran after Radiohead released a live version of "Arpeggio" but that's probably because I'm obsessed and have really just been waiting for their new album hoping it will blow my mind but terrified that it will suck (Weezer anyone?).

Last year I listened to bands. I got really into Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Wolf Parade, Bloc Party and Okkervil River. This year I listened to music. That doesn't really make sense, I realize, but it's true. This year I somewhat disconnected the music from the people who produced it. No I'm not a "new critic," and I didn't do this on purpose. It's just when I reflect on music this year I remember songs or certain strings of songs or even whole albums. I don't look back and say, man that band had a really good year.

Nevertheless I'm very excited (thanks mostly to Nick) to post this year. Let the feuding begin.

2 comments:

tyhollett said...

The Girl Talk discussion has been interesting. I'm still listening to it on a regular basis; to the point now where I anticipate what is coming up next. The use of Neutral Milk Hotel is the favorite, but is anything--other than exercise--being done through its use? Not so sure. Michael's comment about postmodernist pastiche is interesting. I don't know about past sounds being undermined, but they're certainly re-located and can take on a new meaning through juxtaposition. I think the word bricolage might come into play here, in that case. Yeah. What (Like RJ says it)?

R. J. Talyor said...

What?